Friday, July 9, 2010

Book Review: The Possibilities of Sainthood

So, last night while driving to see family, I read an entire book that I was immediately hooked on. The book was called The Possibilities of Sainthood, by Donna Freitas. On a scale of one to ten, I would give it a 7.5. The plot was a little predictable, and there could have been a little more character development with a few of the supporting characters.
In The Possibilities of Sainthood, we follow Antonia on her journey to become the Catholic Church's first living saint and to get her first kiss (though her name saint is the Patron Saint of Teenage Purity). Antonia lives with her mother and grandmother in modern day Rhode Island above the family's traditional Italian deli/bakery. She attends an all-girls, Catholic high school with her best friend Maria, and the brother school is home to the love of Antonia's life. Throughout the story, we read as Antonia prays to different saints for different things, and along the way, realizes some things about love and the first kiss she's been longing for.
This book is a good easy read, but if you're into deeper books, I would look elsewhere. Though the book had meaningful moments, there was nothing life changing that sprung out at me. It's a good teen read, though!
I love it when I'm able to speed through books like I sped through this one (I probably finished it within 6 hours!). It makes me feel a little dorky, but that's just part of who I am. I think it's difficult to find a book that you just can't put down, and this book definitely takes that award with me!
God's Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment